Extended producer responsibility for packaging in Sweden
Since January 1, 2023, Sweden has established strict new rules for packaging manufacturers and distributors aimed at improving recycling and preventing waste. According to these rules, every manufacturer and seller is now responsible for the waste generated after the packaging is used.
Who must register
Companies and sellers are subject to the extended product liability rules if they meet at least one of the following conditions:
- They manufacture packaging within Sweden;
- They import packaging into Sweden;
- Import a packaged product into Sweden;
- Sell a packaged product or packaging to an end-user in Sweden from a country other than Sweden.
In these situations, companies are accountable for adhering to extended producer responsibility regulations in Sweden.
There are no specific thresholds. Companies and manufacturers that produce the goods to be packaged or the packaging itself in Sweden or import it from abroad must register.
Manufacturers who want to register for the EPR packaging rules should follow the following steps
- Select the required PRO company for registration;
- Make sure it is registered with the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency;
- Sign a contract with the company;
- Submit the required waste reports to the public authority through the compliance organization;
- Pay the required fees (eco-fees);
- Operate successfully in the market.
There is no obligation to appoint a representative.
Depending on the quantity and price per package, the deadlines are divided into three periods: a month, a quarter, and a year. Reports must be submitted by the 25th day of the month following the reporting period. Payment for the reports must be made within 30 days of the invoice, otherwise, a percentage penalty will be charged.