Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) for packaging in Spain
Spanish Royal Decree 1055/2022 of 27 December on packaging and packaging waste establishes a number of obligations related to the obligations of product producers.
The requirements of the decree come into force on March 27, 2023.
Who is considered responsible?
Producers are considered responsible for packaging in Spain.
Producers of packaging mean buyers or economic agents engaged in importing or purchasing in other countries of the European Union, supplying packaging for sale on the Spanish market.
What do you mean by packaging?
Any product made from materials of any nature and used for the storage, protection, processing, distribution and presentation of goods, from raw materials to finished products, at any stage of the chain of production, distribution and consumption; will be considered packaging. All disposable items used for the same purpose will also be considered packaging.
There are no thresholds.
Producers’ obligations for Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) in Spain
- Register on public product producer register in the Spanish Ministry of Ecological Transition and Demographic Challenge (MITECO) to get EPR number.
The registration number has the following format:
Where XXXXXXXXX is a 9-digit counter and REGISTRATION YEAR is the year in which it is registered in the registry of product producers.
- Enter into an agreement with one of the approved Producer Responsibility Organization (eco-operators), and receive a membership certificate;
- Pay periodic fees to the eco-operator according to their tariffs and waste volume (license fee);
- Submit reports on amount of packaging placed on the market for each production year.
Foreign companies need authorized representatives to comply with extended producer responsibility requirements when supplying packaging to Spain.
– until 31.10.2023 – for the reporting year 2022
– until 31.03.2024 – for the reporting year 2023