In Argentina, VAT is called “Impuesto al Valor Agregado”, abbreviated IVA.
VAT Standard rate
The general IVA rate of 21% applies to most goods selling in Argentina.
Reduced and increased rates
In addition to the standard rate, Argentina has an increased (27%), reduced (10.5%) and super-reduces (2.50%).
The increased rate of 27% is applied to the sale of gas, electricity and water.
Reduced rate of 10.5% applies to the following products:
- Medical services
- Meat and edible offal of animals
- Fruits, legumes and vegetables, fresh, chilled or frozen
- Cereals and seeds of oilseeds and dried legumes — beans, peas and lentils
- Wheat flour, bread, biscuits, bakery and/or confectionery products
There is also a super-reduced rate of 2.5% applicable for the importation or supply of certain printed or digital newspapers and magazines.
The following IVA thresholds apply for local companies:
- ARS 300,000 (appr. 2600 USD) for goods; or
- ARS 200,000 (appr. 1700 USD) for services